Thursday, January 10, 2008

The week that passed

thai lamp
Cool lamp my sister bought for me in Thailand... too bad the picture got screwed up when I saved it as a smaller pic!

It has been quite the week. I can hardly believe I was off for a week and a bit prior to this. I feel as if I've just been going and going and going since I got back to work on Jan 2nd. CRAZY!

Following a fairly busy three days back at work last week, J and I were back to the homeland (ie. my city of origin). My dad's mom took a real turn for the worse last week, so J and I decided that our much desired ski was nowhere near as important as spending time with my grandma. She has been in a home for two years, and so far she has loved it. You wouldn't believe how often she raves of the food and how well they care for her. It really is home to her now.

I guess last week sometime it was decided that she should head to the hospital. She was having trouble breathing and she was in some pain. In her 92 years, my grandma has only spent 6 times in a hospital. Three of those times were giving birth.

For her pain, my grandma was offered morphene. The first time she turned it down. The second time, she didn't. The third time, she said, "I don't want to become a junkie". How hilarious is that?

Apparently, my grandma was offered morphene several times a day for her pain. Another time, she said, "Just a little bit". My dad was there with her, and he piped up, "I'll take the rest!". My family is a bunch of cards...

Anyhow, my grandma is back at her home. She was extremely tired when we visited her ("They woke me up every 10 minutes!"), but she's doing well. She was happy to see us again, so soon after our Christmas visit.

Following our visit with my grandma, J and I made dinner for my dad and stepmom. We had a fun evening complete with great food and some wine. I had had a GREAT AWESOME FABULOUS visit with my sister the night before, but this evening... she really pissed me off. We won't chat about that.

What I really liked about this total affair is that we were able to pick up and go see my grandma. There were no flights that needed to be planned, we just had to hop in the car. It was so nice to be able to make that decision as soon as we heard my grandma wasn't doing so well.

This past week at work has been INSANE! Friday right before I was about to go home for the night, a manager asked me to attend a meeting in Toronto for Monday and Tuesday of this week. 10 minutes before I'm about to jet, I get this request. CRAZY!

I did attend the meeting, and it was actually very interesting. It wasn't the topic that had me guessing whether or not I should actually attend, but the sheer amount of work I need to do right now. Sheesh!

So anyhow, upon my return to work yesterday, I've just been completely swamped. All the stuff I want/need to do just keeps getting pushed further and further back. I'm one of two people from my work planning a 4 day, fairly large meeting with some other folks and it's all coming down two weeks from now. It's total crunch time. PLUS, the other person is gone for the week. EEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm getting tired just thinking about it! I've put in 8.5 hours of overtime in the past week. While this probably isn't that much, it's a lot for me. And I'll most likely be doing some overtime tomorrow night as well.

What else is going on... oh right, off to another meeting on Monday. So that takes up another entire day. My organizing partner is back Monday, but they will have to wait until Tuesday to get an update...

NEXT! We're checking out some houses this weekend. That's exciting. The picture to the right there is from a house we're really interested in. Not necessarily my decor, but whatever... It's also not in the most ideal neighbourhood, but... that can be overlooked for dreamy hardwood and a 16x12 master bedroom, don't you think? Then again, the kitchen is totally dinky, so we'll have to see.

Anyhow, big time adventures in the house hunting department. Cuz I don't have enough going on right now. COULD YOU IMAGINE IF WE ACTUALLY DECIDED TO PUT AN OFFER IN?? J would totally have to take that one on. Then again, is that even fair? Not so much.

In recent news, I have decided that my online pseudonym will be Maia. It can mean: "brave warrior" and "earth goddess of springtime". Describes me perfectly, don't you think?

OK, that's enough of a tiring update for now. Later gators!

No comments: