Saturday, June 13, 2009

Swollen, achy, numb, +33lbs, but upbeat.

Well folks, I figured that if there were any people who actually still checked here, they they deserved some kind of update.

Things are going pretty well around here. The past few months have been rough, due to our crazy reno schedule. In the past two and a half months we have finished the nursery, downstairs and upstairs hallways and spare room. Aside from the colour in the hallway, which I'm not completely in love with, it looks AMAZING! It feels so good to get the last bit of the previous owners OUT OF MY HOUSE. Here's a little snapshot to give you some idea.

before


after


Unfortunately, in the process I accelerated my pregnancy induced carpal tunnel. Didn't know that was possible? Well it is. Retaining water = pressure on special nerves = carpal tunnel. Fabulous. My right forearm is now almost perpetually tingly. It's lame. And any time I grip something, it aches. I'll be quite content when it goes away with the arrival of the wee one.

So I'm officially 5 weeks away from my due date. It's pretty surreal. We're complete delinquent parents and have not yet set up the nursery. Sure the kid will be with us for the first little while, but currently the nursery is full of boxes of stuff (some baby stuff, some other stuff), painted canvases, bins of clothing, etc. Then again, it's not like the kid needs more than a few pieces of clothing, diapers (cloth!), a place to sleep and my boobs, right? We'll have a little bit of time to figure the rest out.

As for the birth, we really do need to get on purchasing some items. We're planning a home birth, so there are some things we need to acquire. The midwives bring most of what they need, but we essentially need to prepare our house/furniture. I really hope things go as planned because the last thing I want is to be induced and then have a C section. As much as I know it would be 'in the best interest of the child' (ahem... best interests of the doctor...), I really want to avoid that kind of birth at all costs.

So that's about it for me for now. Although there are other things going on in my life, this is pretty much it in a nutshell. Preparing for baby has consumed us, and I know that living with baby will consume us in 5 weeks, plus or minus 2 weeks. Let's just say that for the month of July, we have nothing planned!

Well, other than the arrival of baby.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh it's great to hear from you!!! i can't believe you only have five weeks to go... would love to see some pictures some time :) i hope your arm will get better any WOW a home birth... kudos on that one. xoxo

San said...

Yes, great to get an update... I am glad things are going relatively well and I love what you did with this room! Nice wall color!

I am also impressed that you're planning a home birth. That's nice to hear in contrast to the "scheduled deliveries" here in the US ;)I am excited for you guys!

inkandpen said...

Hey, that's excellent news! I'm also expecting (though not till the end of November) and also planning a home (or possibly birth center) birth. I'm thrilled to hear you're doing so well. Thanks for the update!

Maia said...

Here's hoping the home birth goes as planned! Well, at least let's hope I can stay home for the entire time!!

Kim: Yep, 5 weeks. Although I'm not at the "get this thing out of me" point, I'm wondering how the next few weeks will go!!

San: Until I became pregnant, I never even considered a home birth. But once given the options by our midwife, it seemed the most applicable to us. I like the idea of giving birth in a space I'm comfortable in vs. hooked up to all sorts of stuff, bright fluorescent lights, etc. I really hope I don't need to be induced...

Katie: CONGRATS! Wonderful news as well! I like the idea of a birth centre as well, but for us it was one of two hospitals or home. And one of the hospitals makes midwives sign over their care to the OB on call. So what's the point?? I hope you're doing well too!