Friday, July 24, 2009

Looking forward

So I'm officially a week overdue now. While I feel fine, I'm still focusing on that LOOMING date a week from now, when the midwives need to consult with an OB to see what their advice is. Generally, at two weeks, their advice is to induce. I'd really like to avoid that.

Went in for a non-stress test today, and fortunately everything is fine. I feel fine, so why shouldn't everything be fine?!?! It was a pretty relaxed event, but just being in the hospital got to me. I have no anxiety around hospitals, but this pregnancy has really made me thinking about how over-medicalized birthing has become.

On Monday, my mom will be coming to town. I'm a little stressed about this. She will be here for 12 days. That seems like a lot to me - especially since we haven't seen each other since Christmas 2007. My concern is partially due to the fact that my dad and stepmom will obviously be around at some point. Given all the drama that went on surrounding our wedding, I have worries about them all being together and acting like ADULTS!!!!! And honestly, it shouldn't need to be my job to moderate and make sure everyone's OK. My focus should be, and WILL BE, elsewhere. I have no problem telling them to get the fuck out if they start being idiots.

My concern is also partially due to my mom's expectations while here. I already feel smothered by the idea of her being here. Isn't that horrible? She told me that she has brought her SLR and video camera and I can't stand the idea of needing to watch myself in my own house. I'm vain enough to care about how I look and am portrayed - I already know that. I can already see her being in my face. CLICK. CLICK. CLICK! Sure the kid won't care... but I do. I think I'll need to set down some ground rules.

I know she's excited, and I'm excited for her. The problem lies in all the previous drama and how I'm going to react with having her here for such a concentrated period of time. I love my mom... and she has the best intentions... but she drives me nuts.

As an aside, Thom and I have planned to have only the two of us and the midwives present at the birth. What the hell do I do with my mom if the baby isn't here by Monday? She knows no one in town. Do we just ship her off to a hotel for 2-3 nights?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i say #1 priority are you, thom and the little one. you need to be comfortable. this is an event that's special and happens once in a lifetime so you should not have to worry about anything but the three of you. prior to, during or right after the birth. if you're not comfortable with your mom in your house she goes to a hotel. period. she's a big girl and can handle that. if she needs to whine and be a pain about it, send her home.

i've seen one of my gfs go through huge drama with her mom right after the birth which ruined the first days/weeks with their little girl to a point where she had problems nursing. so again i say: you are #1 right now.

and i just realized that for all i know you may be in labor or a mom as i'm typing this. i'm so excited for you and i hope all will go/went well. can't wait to see the little munchkin :)

Unknown said...

Ship her off! She'll have to get over it. It's not about her.
The worst thing is to not have a plan in place ahead of time and by all accounts you've done quite a bit of work already planning how you want this birth to go so this is no different. It's much more difficult to come up with something in the moment and try to explain it. If you have decided that if the baby isn't here by the time she gets here that what you want is for her to be out of the house for a couple of days during delivery and immediately following then let her know ahead of time. When/if that situation arises all you have to do is execute the previously agreed upon plan. No decision making, only execution. Of course that analysis comes from adventure racing experience but it feels kind of like it applies here. :-) Good luck!